Surgery Success

Posted on

We could not have predicted a more favorable outcome from yesterday’s surgery. It did take longer than expected, almost 6 hours. Kathy was pretty worried when the time passed the 5 hour mark with no word from the doctor. The extra time for the surgery was due to Dr Ferrone having to make only one incision. The original plan was to make 2 incisions, racing stripes as he called them, as he felt that was the best option to remove the tumor while preserving as much muscle as possible. Once he opened me up he saw that he was able to preform the surgery without the second incision. It would take more time but doing it this way is much better for me in terms of recovery. 

The pathology report came back with clean margins meaning there were no cancerous cells in the tissue that surrounded the removed tumor. Pathology disected the tumor and did the testing while I was out on the table. The location of the tumor was not as close to the femur as it looked on the MRI so he was able to remove it without touching the bone. Not having steel plate mounted to my femur is okay with me! 

As has been the case for the whole journey, the team that took part in my surgery were nothing short of first class. They were so friendly on could not have made me more comfortable. The anesthesiologists were really good and actually held off on some anxiety meds since their bedside manner did the trick and I did not need them. The fewer the drugs the better in my mind although my pain med button comes in pretty handy so far. They explained every detail of what they were going to do including some not so attractive options should something unexpected happen. My RN, Rob, looked more like a steel worker than a nurse. He was great as well in making me totally comfortable thru the process. 

Kathy had the much harder job yesterday. For me it was close my eyes, open my eyes and it was over. The first person I remember seeing was Kathy and she was such a welcome site. Apparently I spoke with Dr Ferrone post surgery but I don’t recall anything until I saw my beautiful wife. 

Onto the recovery phase! 

4 thoughts on “Surgery Success

    Sharon said:
    July 17, 2015 at 7:40 am

    Your post made me tear up, Tony. Seeing your beautiful wife after surgery must have felt amazing.

    Thank you for the continued updates…..I think of you everyday. So happy for you and so proud of your attitude and courage. Keep smiling. (Even if that means a push on the meds button!)

    Liked by 1 person

      latwallis responded:
      July 17, 2015 at 7:52 am

      She has been amazing and seeing her first when I woke up was so special. The med button will get some use today. Pretty sore.


    Russ Redman said:
    July 17, 2015 at 9:38 am

    God speed your recovery, and God bless you and your family.


    peter wallis said:
    July 17, 2015 at 6:53 pm

    Once again, lill Bro, congrats to all involved to have this most excellent success !  We are all so pleased and happy for you and Kathy for this outcome, after 6 hours…wow,this is a long time, but all necessary obviously… So yes onto the road of recovery and taking it real easywith the process…. Yahoo!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s